balance

summer is under way. i have lost another 2 lbs. for a running total of 13. I had another meeting with a dietician last week (my third one) where we talked about what I am eating and how much of it and so on. The breakthrough moment this time is something I think we all learned in the second grade: eating a balanced diet will help you maintain good health. I felt like an idiot when I said my brain work in numbers and spreadsheets she pulled out a picture of a plate -color coded, with the words DAIRY GRAINS FRUIT VEGETABLE and PROTEIN printed around it. She said my breakfast everyday must consist of d-g-f-p, my lunch must consist of d-g-f-p-v, and my dinner must consist of d-g-f-p-v. We she actually did the math for me: she said if I go grocery shopping once per week and there are 2 adults in my home and we should each have 3 fruits everyday 2 X 3 X 7 = 42 servings of fruit I should buy at the store every week! Then I asked her a billion dollar question- what about diet soda? she said they are definitely OK and a million times better for you than regular soda. she said she has read all the studies and none of those prove diet sodas are harmful. I drink about 2 cans of diet soda every day give or take. I also drink coffee and water and crystal light.
I bought at the store this week a whole watermelon, apples that are already cored and sliced in store, bananas, strawberries, and guacamole. for breakfast I will be eating a Clif bar, a low fat Yoplait yogurt, and some fruit, along with my coffee with cream. I am going to make a list of subs (for example instead of a Clif bar I can have whole grain toast, instead of yogurt I can have a chunk of cheese, etc.) If I eat the same thing every day I will get burnt out and make bad decisions. On the recommendation of more than one person I will try what is called cauliflower rice for the first time. it's really just cauliflower finely diced. I am toying with the idea of making smoothies sometimes because I can combine protein powder with dairy and fruit all in one, quick and easy. then I would just eat toast or cereal or a Clif bar, for example. 
on a personal level my mom has broken her shoulder a couple of days ago and I will be headed there as soon as the surgery is scheduled-I am literally waiting for the call as I type this. I am going to buy or rent a lift chair that will help her stand up after sitting since she can use her right arm. it has been a source of worry and stress but I have faith everything will be OK and the important thing is I have not begun to emotional eat or self sabotage myself.
I am headed out to Las Vegas in 10 days with the girls so I did buy a few new things to wear in the 100+ degree heat. my favorite purchase is these Skechers with gel or foam insoles built in my feet feel terrific walking in them. I also got shirts and shorts. maybe I can win big on a Sin City slot machine and buy a whole new wardrobe.
Time to go walk the dog. weather permitting. with love.

Comments

  1. Love that you blog and I can follow you...you are doing wonderful my friend! Proud of your determination and faith. -Sara S.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

a story about control

room at the top

false alarm