room at the top

I got a room at the top of the world tonight
I can see everything tonight
I got a room where everyone
Can have a drink and forget those things
That went wrong in their life

I got a room at the top of the world tonight
I got a room at the top of the world tonight
I got a room at the top of the world tonight
And I ain't comin' down, I ain't comin' down



from the song Room at the Top by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers






We returned July 2 from a few days in San Francisco, California where I celebrated my 40th birthday amongst friends. This is one of my favorite cities I have ever visited. I reunited with dear friends. We toured Alcatraz and enjoyed photographing the Golden Gate Bridge. We also toured the Winchester Mystery House and dined at Wayfare Tavern, Jones, and Chart House. We had drinks at Club Fugazi for a performance of "Beach Blanket Babylon" then Vesuvio as well as Harvey's later.






I have recently reached a 9 year anniversary working for AT&T. This is the longest I have worked anywhere and taking advantage of this opportunity has changed my life for the better in many ways. I have made lots of great lifelong friends, learned many skills, and the gift of finishing my bachelor's degree through tuition reimbursement is something I can not put a value on.


The biggest news is that I have reached 63 lbs. of total weight loss. This amounts to many changes that I am observing and making note of that are new and somewhat foreign to me.


For instance when we flew to and from California this is the first flight that I can remember where the seat belt was not difficult to buckle and pressed tightly against me for the entire trip. I actually had a few inches of slack which just blows my mind.


I have recently tried on and purchased regular sizes in clothing stores whereas in the past I mostly would have to order many items online and have them shipped.  


My doctor is encouraging me to lift weights since I could be losing muscle mass so now I am seeing the shape of my body change>>> like actual biceps! and legs with some definition. I am getting positive attention from people I admire and that feels amazing.


In a few days I will visit a water park which I have done many times before but for the first time I think it will be less worrying about my self image and more having fun and enjoying the day.


In one workday at the office last week 6 different people stopped to ask about my weight loss. They complimented me, they said I inspired them, and they wanted to learn how to do what I was doing. Some of my own issues are about accepting compliments and taking credit for the hard work that I have been doing not just in the gym but in the kitchen and in therapy. I often get very emotional if the conversation goes on for a very long time because I can not believe it has happened and I am so grateful for the support.


At my doctor's appointment earlier this week my doctor said she had been looking forward to seeing me. She knew my appointment was the last one of the day. Most of the other patients have undergone bariatric surgery. They often do not see the kind of results they are hoping for and the patient before me was unhappy. She had only lost 25% of her body weight in 6 months BUT I HAD LOST 30%!! in same time period!! without surgery!! She gave me a hug and she said she needed that today. I was in tears at that moment because I knew I had made the right decision for me.


I want to leave you with this short list of things that weight around 60 lbs. I am going to imagine carrying one or more of these items on my back, over my shoulder, or around my waist if I ever get discouraged or find myself at a plateau thinking about emotional eating or self sabotage. Maybe it could help someone else do the same?


1 average 10 year old child weighs around 60 lbs.
2 dogs the size of my dog Kevyn weighs around 60 lbs.
2 or 3 large bags of dog food weighs around 60 lbs.
2 or 3 suitcases filled with clothes weighs around 60 lbs.
7 gallons of milk weighs around 60 lbs.
30 bottles of wine (that's 2.5 cases!) weighs around 60 lbs.
480 Snickers bars weighs around 60 lbs.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Billy

11

dive in