dormant

I guess this space has been dormant since 2011 but even if it's just for today i am reviving it.
in part this blog will be a record of my adventures, successes, failures, and the bits that I feel are worth preserving in order to remember them.
This week I have begun another serious dedicated attempt to find my way to a thinner more healthy me. I thought about it, I read about some medications and I know there is more than one clinic dedicated to medical weight loss. I will be 39 this year and hope I have more than half of my life out ahead of me. my goal is to spend more of my life at a healthy weight than i did at an unhealthy one. I look forward to buying clothes in any store I choose, having zero anxiety when taking off my shirt or buckling my seatbelt on an airplane, and maybe I will no longer have to worry about dying in my sleep from sleep apnea.
It is important for me to say again if you are reading this you probably know me: I don't want your sympathy but I do want your support.
I think I read someplace that being 40 pounds overweight is as bad for you as smoking a pack a day or that it is like having a tumor. even if that is not true I am thinking about the people who have cancer who don't get to choose, but I do. I can control this. I will control this. I intend to avoid surgery at all costs. I wish to honor my friends and family who love me as well as the friends and family who have already passed on. I think about those friends who have gone too soon and the people in my life who have weight problems as bad or worse than mine. if I could inspire them as some kind of example of one person who did not let obesity consume him it would be worth it.
I am way more than 40 pounds overweight. In order to be not morbidly obese, not obese, not overweight, using BMI as an indicator I would need to lose something like 170 lbs. if I could lose half of that and keep it off it would change my life.
the first tip that comes to mind is one my nutritionist shared. it is so sensible I feel dumb for not ever verbalizing this before. when snacking, in this example I will say pretzels, place a serving of pretzels in a bowl, on a plate, or on a napkin then put the bag of pretzels away. the serving can be what you consider a serving and not what it says on the package. As long as you don't go back and get more and you stop when this serving finished this is progress. DO NOT take the entire bag of pretzels to your seat in front of the TV or computer. DO NOT just keep grazing on that bag of pretzels for an hour while you watch your show.
The first order of business was changing my prescription medication for anxiety which had been citalopram for years. Turns out a known side effect was weight gain. So getting used to a new anti-D can be scary.
She did say I was already completing the required minimum amount of exercise and I should keep on doing that. My blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels have always been at acceptable levels. We will test thyroid and she might recommend additional vitamins but there are medications known for combatting the part of the brain dedicated to rewards and to addiction. I am excited about the future.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a story about control

false alarm

balance